[MEncoder-users] x264 codec and bitrates

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 10 19:40:54 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 03:26:42PM -0300, Franco Pellegrini wrote:
> Hi everybody, i have a question regarding bitrates. Currently i'm
> doing some re-encoding of some videos. I've read [0] and based on
> that, i'm using the "Very high quality" example settings found down
> there.

Ouch, that is badly outdated.
You should be using
preset=...
and
crf=...
options, the first to set the encoding quality, the second to choose
the encode quality (18 is often a recommended starting point) - that
is assuming you want to target a certain quality and do not care much
about bitrate in principle.
If you don't know much about the subject you should not be using any
option other than preset, crf and under certain circumstances bitrate,
tune and profile.