[MEncoder-users] mencoder: mp2->mp4 autoaspect question

Toerless Eckert Toerless.Eckert at Informatik.Uni-Erlangen.de
Sat Sep 25 19:05:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:27:20PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > ffmpeg -i 001.mpg -vcodec mpeg4  -b 1500k 001.avi
>
> Works fine with a not-too-ancient version (only latest svn is supported, the
> same is true for MPlayer/MEncoder).

Unfortunately i couldn't get it to work, not even with the latest SVN.
I'd really appreciate if you could tell me anything more about the
parameters you used to test. I am also of course not 100% sure that
the players i use support to switch the aspect ratio on an mpeg4 stream
(vlc, mplayer with ffmpeg).

Cheers
    Toerless

P.S.:As far as de-interlacing is concerned: I just have not found the time
to figure out the best possible de-interlacer/parameters , so i am
delaying that decision to the decoder where i can change it over time.

Also: I understand how i would loose some quality/bitrate by using
interlaced encoding, but i also have not seen sufficient evidence that that
de-interlcidng would result in ultimately a better viewing experience
than interlaced displaying of the non-de-interlaced encoding.

P.S.2: my ffmpeg version:

---- end