[MEncoder-users] demuxing question

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Sat Nov 27 19:48:35 CET 2010

From: Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>

27. November 2010, 18:31:36 h

>> Bernd Butscheidt <bbutscheidt <at> yahoo.de> writes:
>> There are many filters/ options I would miss if mencoder stopped working:
>> e.g. speed, framestep, delogo, .....

>I don't think speed does anything else than dropping or repeating frames, which
>is also the functionality of framestep

To my experience, speed does not drop any frames. Like movies are shot in 24 fps
and shown in PAL land with 25 fps by speeding up (and without repeating frames
e.g.).
What I do is to revert this progess (making 25 fps TV records 24 fps again.).
The smart thing when using the speed option is that the audio gets converted too
to the proper length needed in one step.I only know sox or a very old but still
genius program for windows called BeSweet which could do this job either.

>Note that two non-trivial filters that ...wereported this week

I have no problems with ffmeg taking the place of mencoder and I'm looking
forward to test filters coming. That is the only thing I can contribute, my
programming knowledge is too poor. But it is good to hear that there is a chance
that mencoder will work until things are ready for a complete take over.