[MEncoder-users] demuxing question

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Tue Nov 23 17:37:08 CET 2010

On 2010-11-23 6:04 AM, Levente Novák wrote:
> 2010. 11. 23, kedd keltezéssel 00.52-kor Alexander Strange ezt írta:

>> If you have yadif, how often do you need to scale interlaced movies?
>>

> Yadif is a deinterlacer. It helps only if you want to deinterlace, which
> is not the optimal solution when e.g. you are up/downscaling interlaced
> material to be mastered on a DVD as interlaced.

Levente has the answer exactly. What do people normally TAKE movies with? An HD
camcorder, of course! What do people normally WATCH movies with? A DVD player,
of course! Until FFmpeg can take the most common source, and turn it into the
most common target, it's pretty useless. How often do I scale interlaced movies?
Every time, my friend.

The users of FFmpeg think it's good because they live in the world of computers
and progressive displays. They think the best thing to do with interlacing is to
get rid of it.

I have to give them credit for getting YADIF working though; I didn't know that
(Thanks Alexander). At least with YADIF you can make the best of the interlaced
information you have, when converting to progressive.

--
Peter