[MEncoder-users] Intermediate codec from mpegts on the way to h264

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 07:52:41 CET 2010

On 11/16/2010 1:41 AM, David Liontooth wrote:
> I understand your experience is that reencoding is generally a
> bad idea, even if using the same codec.
The codec used is irrelevant. Loss is loss. Using a CRF of around 15
would be fine, but that would likely use a bitrate much higher than you
want. If you want very high quality, it's likely you won't be able to
have a low enough bitrate for the intermediate encode without it being
lower quality than what you want for the final encode, especially since
you'd have to encode all the ads.