[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

David Liontooth lionteeth at cogweb.net
Thu Nov 11 08:26:51 CET 2010

On 11/09/2010 12:41 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:24:47AM -0800, Scott W. Larson wrote:
>> Reimar Döffinger<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>  wrote:
>>> We have three samples, two showed only half the characters, one showed
>>> a mixture of two languages. All are working now, but it could of course
>>> have broken something...
>> Did you find an ATSC samples to test with?
> Yes. And I'd like to implement the reordering by reusing the pts reordering
> stuff we already have (see the buffered_pts stuff in libmpcodecs/dec_video.c)
> instead of having yet another reordering code.
> I just don't know when I'll have time for it.
The problem with ATSC closed captioning is that it's time-consuming to
figure out the reordering. It's true it's not optimal to have yet
another reordering code, but the alternative -- realistically, judging
from the past five years -- is to have no support for closed captioning.

Since the work has been done, by someone who actually found the time to
do it, it would be great to see this merged. If you don't merge it now,
and don't have time to do it yourself, we'll see another five years go by.

Merge soon, merge often. Nobody has time to write all the code.

Cheers
Dave