[MEncoder-users] How to repackage MP4 files to avi container?

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Sat May 29 06:50:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Miroslav Rovis <m.rovis at inet.hr> wrote:
> mkvmerge -A FILE.mkv -y 0:0,128600/128683 FILE.aac  -o FILE_TRY01.mkv
>
> Now the problem is FILE_TRY01.mkv is well synced only at beginning and
> at end, but towards the middle it reaches still approx. 0.300 to 0.500
> sec out of sync.
> I remind here that avi itself is synced just right throughout the
> FILE.avi.
> Does anyone have any ideas what should by tried in this situation?

I recently reported a similar problem with mkvmerge and mencoder
produced AVIs and the thoughts seem to be that mencoder is producing
some plain broken AVIs.  I've not had time to repackage the results to
file a bug here though.

In my case, the work flow was:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -o a.avi a.vob
mkvmerge -o a.mkv a.avi

Using mkvmerge -o a.mkv a.vob worked fine.

Someone over there did an analysis of the AVI and determined that it was broken.

So, assuming that your problem and my problem are similar, it could be
that there's an issue with the AVI stuff, as compared to any MPG4
specific stuff.

I know I'm pretty vague here, but I'll try to get some more details
together when I get a chance.

mrc