[MEncoder-users] newbie - convert AVI-movie from camera to compatible mpeg

Thomas Porschberg thomas at randspringer.de
Tue Mar 9 20:41:56 CET 2010

Hi,

I shoot a little movie with my Olympus-camera and now I have to rotate
it by 90°.
I tried
mencoder -vf rotate=1 -o OUTPUT.mpg -oac copy -ovc lavc INPUT.AVI
and at the first glance it worked. My mplayer on linux played it without problems.

But now I observed that the resulting mpg-file is well displayed by VLC-media player
but not by windows media player and quicktime under windows.

I added an option vcodec=wmv2 and now windows media player could play the movie.

However quicktime does still not able to play it.

Could someone post a minimal shell script which does the conversion to a video
which can be displayed with the most common video players (inclusive quicktime)?

Best regards,
Thomas

thomas at jeschken:~$ mencoder --version
MEncoder dev-SVN-r26940 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
--version is not an MEncoder option

Exiting... (error parsing command line)  <-- seems to be bug !

--
http://www.randspringer.de