[MEncoder-users] Accuracy of the -endpos option

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:59:59 CEST 2010

 On 6/30/2010 3:34 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > frameref=15
> > Looks rather/very high to me
>
> This is the highest possible value AFAIK. I am trying to get the highest
> possible quality with file size as short as possible because I encode for
> archival. I don't really care much about encoding time.
Unless you are encoding very flat cartoons, a high frameref is not
beneficial. It increases the power needed to decode (it affects decoding
power needed much more than encoding power needed) and only increases
efficiency for cartoons/CGI. You can expect the level to go up from
High at 3.0 to High at 3.2 (or possibly High at 4.0 if you have other things that
raise the level). I use a high frameref only for cartoons on DVD and
limit it when doing live action or HD. If you want to increase
efficiency and don't care about encoding speed, there are other, more
sane things you could change (e.g. increase subq to 9). If you want to
burn through CPU cycles for no reason, you could use me=tesa (look into
the placebo preset for more).