[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 20:41:56 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Alexander Strange
<astrange at ithinksw.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/27/2010 7:22 PM, Peter wrote:
>>> I would like to make the best of this interlaced content, without discarding
>>> either the 60 frames per second, or the 1920x1080 resolution. I want the
>>> 'impossible' holy grail of making a 1920x1080/60p file out of it. Of course, I
>>> will then compress the file with H.264, but at that point, I will let H.264 do
>>> its compression magic in a more appropriate and efficient way than the
>>> interlacing did.
>>>
>> You will waste many bits if you go from 60 fields per second to 60
>> frames per second before encoding. You would be compressing generated
>> bits, since it's essentially upscaling. yadif is a very good (but slow)
>> deinterlacer and you will get good results with it going from 60 fields
>> to 30 frames per second.
>
> Yadif is not a particularly slow deinterlacer; like most of the
> mplayer filters, it runs in realtime and there are (somewhat) better
> ones which run (much) more slowly.

Well, somewhat correct. IIRC there's an optimized version of yadif
(both quality and speed) floating around on doom9, which is faster
than the one in mplayer. If I'm not mistaken and from what I recall,
it was proposed to merge the patch in mplayer but it was rejected for
some reason