[MEncoder-users] Little OT: using other then default decoder with mencoder

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Mon Jul 5 18:14:06 CEST 2010

belcampo wrote:
> Grozdan wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>>> The ffmpeg h264 decoder has problems with BBC-HD files, filed an
>>> Issue and
>>> it was reproduced by the developers as a bug. In the meantime, as
>>> it's being
>>> fixed, I'm looking for a work-around.
>>> With mplayer there's an option '-vc codec' to force another then the
>>> default
>>> decoder. Is it possible to use this in mencoder as well. Use vdpau, or
>>> CrystalHD even better ?
>>
>> yes, -vc and -ac also work in mencoder. The decoder name is the same
>> as the one printed by mplayer -vc help. For H.264 video, use
>> -vc ffh264vdpau
> Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try.
>>
>>> If yes how would a cli look like ?
trying to ask a better question. The -vc ffh264vdpau isn't a solution in
this case.
The above mentioned problems exist on all 'ffmpeg-library-based'
encoders/players like ffplay/vlc/mplayer. Decoding B-frames seems to be
the problem.
Under M$ XP using mplayer-classic which in my case can use Cyberlink
H264/AVC decoder (PDVD7) and Arcsoft Total Media Theatre with its own
decoder both play it fine.
I've heard mplayer can use some Windows decoders under linux, with the
win32-codecs package, is one of the above mentioned decoders somehow
useable under linux ??

If yes, could someone point me in the right direction ?

Regards Henk