[MEncoder-users] mkv suppot in mencoder (was - the options for the best x264 encoding with crf)

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 21:08:15 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Goga777 <goga777 at bk.ru> wrote:
>> > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-x264.html
>>
>> Those docs are *very* outdated so you shouldn't rely on them
>

> btw , and what about mkv support in mencoder ?
>
> the existing doc wrote
>
> The AVI container is the native container format for MEncoder, which means that it's the one that is best
> handled, and the one for which MEncoder was designed. As noted above, other container formats are usable,
> but you may experience problems when using them.
> As you can see, libavformat allows MEncoder to mux into a considerable variety of containers.
> Unfortunately, as MEncoder was not designed from the beginning to support container formats other than
> AVI, your should really be paranoid about the resulting file.
>
> Are there any problem to x264-encode in mkv with libavformat ?
> Does avi still the best format for mencoder ?

mencoder is the most reliable when outputting to avi, mpeg or raw.
Mencoder is broken with the lavf muxer when using b-frames so avoid
it. I recommend outputting to avi and then using mkvmerge for mkv

of course, if you dislike avi, output to raw but you'll have to manage
audio separately and if you don't know what you're doing, a/v sync
issues could creep in.