[MEncoder-users] Enable mbtree

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 22:41:37 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Баймуратов Г. М. <flibustier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hardcoding bitrate is not so good me, I'm having batch encoding, so crf
> gives me more "viewable" quality.
> About bframes you are right, I'll cut it to 16.
> Thank you for advices and help. I'll certainly use them.

Why is it not good? If you want to target a specific file size, you
most definitely want to use a 2 or 3 pass, even in batch mode. With
crf, every file in batch mode will have a different file size, unless
all you files are exactly the same. Also, sometimes crf can "blow up"
bitrates on specific types of content (ie, one with lots of moving
small details, luminescent-like colors, lots of overall picture
complexity, noise, etc). Of course, the downside of this is that you
may need to specify a different bitrate for each file and this can be
a bit hard in batch mode

if you want to further increase quality, then increase the value of
rc_lookahead (used by mbtree and vbv ratecontrol) from 40 (default) to
something like 100 or so (it gets clipped to keyint value)