[MEncoder-users] mkv to hard sub avi to m4v command line options and sync problems

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Jan 17 21:52:03 CET 2010

Hi Mike,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 09:41:44 -0800, Mike Castle wrote:

Excuse me if I nitpick, but:

> For hardcoding in subtitles, well, that pretty much means having to
> remux the video, and that always results in a loss of video quality.

Actually, re_mux_ing[*] shouldn't affect video quality. Re_encod_ing does
always affect video quality (unless you use lossless codecs). And -
that's probably what you meant - inserting subtitles requires
reencoding.

> Every time you pass through tools like this, you're probably going to
> end up losing quality.  You'll be much better off, quality wise, if
> you take the time to learn how to use just one tool.

Absolutely!

Moritz

[*] I understand muxing as "assembling video stream(s) and audio
    stream(s)", e.g. putting them into containers.