[MEncoder-users] mkv to hard sub avi to m4v command line options and sync problems

v4r4n console.cowboy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:02:04 CET 2010

As far as what I want to achieve, I tried to keep the question simple, but
I'm re-encoding a bunch of .mkv files to .m4v files for better iPod/PS3
compatibility.

This container format requires that I pick a single audio track and 'bake'
permanent subtitles into the video frame.  It would be nice if I could keep
the video/audio/subtitles all in sync with each other.

I find it easiest to use mencoder to breakdown the .mkv files into simple
elements, put them back the way I want them, and re-encode the raw .avi into
an .m4v using Handbrake settings profiles.

There are methods of real-time transcoding, etc., but I find that they're
currently too buggy and fragile.  I'd rather do the calculations once and
play media locally.