[MEncoder-users] Need help fixing/decoding a recovered h264 file

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Feb 27 17:05:52 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 01:25:05PM +0100, Kasper Bonne wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 08:11, Marc MERLIN <marc_mplayer at merlins.org> wrote:
> > Hopefully I won't have to do this again, but do you have a good binary
> > editor with block cut/paste that you recommend for a case like this?
>
> For hex-editing nothing beats emacs in hexl-mode. (In fact, IMO few
> editors beat emacs for any editing. http://xkcd.com/378/)

Except that you're lucky if emacs can even handle 1GB large files
on 32 bit machines.
If you can fit it into that, I'd recommend okteta from KDE4 - seems
it's not 100% stable but it still seems to work better than other
alternatives.
tweak would be a really nice program if someone polished it a bit -
no undo and not even the possibility to save to a different file
name makes it really close to useless unfortunately.