[MEncoder-users] Need help fixing/decoding a recovered h264 file

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Feb 26 20:07:50 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 07:06:56AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > For a less clumsy undelete option, try PhotoRec:
> > www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
>
> Yes, that's a good tip. I actually have and use PhotoRec, it's a great piece
> of software. Unfortunately it doesn't quite know how to restore avc1 mp4s
> yet (I've been working with Christophe GRENIER on it, but no success yet).

To simplify my last mail: going by all the information you gave, testdisk
should not have the slightest problem restoring your file.
If it can't, find some other tool that can analyze FAT cluster chains,
the first cluster of your file obviously has not been overwritten, thus
at the very least the FAT still contains the data where the second cluster
of your file is.
PhotoRec just is the wrong tool for large data stored on FAT.