[MEncoder-users] Dolby downmix

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Thu Dec 30 19:04:35 CET 2010

On 12/30/2010 6:34 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> <snip>
> With all the FFmpeg discussion (yes, suggesting it is ok, but please try
> to keep the discussion a bit separate, hopping between programs makes it
> a pain to follow the discussion) I haven't managed to actually
> understand what the goal is.
> Do you just want downmixing to two channels? Just use -channels 2
> instead of -channels 6.
> If you want to have a very specific downmixing matrix (instead of
> something that should produce a reasonable 2-channel representation
> from all 6 channels), use -channels 6 and -af pan with the precise
> matrix coefficients.

Reimar,

what I want to is not to simply discard center, lfe, and back speakers
but downmix so I can decode at least the Surround via Dolby II from the
resulting channels (if possible).

Carl's response seemed to suggest that specifying -channels 2 would
simply discard instead of mixing in information from the remaining four
channels. Is this not so?

Now that you mention it I checked the doc and there is indeed an -af
pan. The Nero aac encoder claims it is doing a Dolby II surround mix and
so is Handbrake. Now, I listen to the Handbrake output through my HTS
amp on Dolby II decode settings and I don't quite buy it but there is
something coming out of the rear speakers so I don't quite know how well
this can be done at all.

So the question again: My input file has AC3 5.1 Dolby audio and I would
like to create a compressed output file that downmixes this information
to Dolby II (Dolby II carries info for five speakers and the decoder can
somehow pull this out of a dual channel signal).

Did I clarify this sufficiently?

At present I have found a somewhat cumbersome workaround:

Remember that my initial problem of simply processing the streams
separately was defeated by the fact that my input stream occasionally
exposes a glitch that shows the sync off. It's unnoticeable but as I
could demonstrate to Carl with an example it is definitely there. The
input signal is also 59.94 fps and I convert this to 23.976 with some
tricky mencoder filter combination. If I push audio and video through
mencoder the code is very smart, does the pulldown correctly and keeps
a/v in sync. (Say what you will but mencoder is superior to ffmpeg in
terms of doing things like this). So the separate processing creates a/v
sync problems but when I take the whole file with -oac copy (getting out
the same ac 5.1 in the video track) I can demux it and it apparently has
the a/v glitch patched up (mencoder issues some sort of message
'Concealing DC whatever' so I think it does some sort of triage). When I
take this audio and postprocess it using Nero and multiplex it in,
replacing the 5.1 with Nero aac I have perfect sync and Dolby downmix,
at least it sounds right through my HTS.

My question was thus: Can mencoder be made to downmix a 5.1 ac3 signal
into Dolby II Prologic decodeable discrete channels during the a/v
encoding process?

--
/re

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy." — Jim Butcher