[MEncoder-users] Dolby downmix

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Tue Dec 28 17:13:07 CET 2010

On 12/28/2010 4:16 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Rolf Ernst<rolf.ernst<at>  silverlightning.org>  writes:
>
>> The HD PVR actually digitizes off a high quality
>> component analog signal and one of the quirks is that every once in a
>> while it misses a beat (very rarely, but maybe 3 times in an hour
>> unnoticeably so) and only the time stamps keep it in sync. Since
>> mencoder knows how to thread the combined video and audio together none
>> of these glitches matter, which is also why ffmpeg is useless for
>> processing these a/v streams.
> Since I don't think this problem is known, could you please upload a sample to
> ftp://ffmpeg.org/MPlayer/incoming/ (write-only) and report the file-name (and a
> failing command line) here?

>> Do you see my dilemma? Any suggestions on how to possibly approach it?
> I still fail to understand *why* you want to downmix, but -channels 2 should be
> (unnoticeable) faster than "-channels 6 -af channels=2". And I wonder if
> -channels 2 isn't always default for mencoder...
>
> Is there any advantage in using nero over faac?
>
> Carl Eugen
Hi Eugen,

for my personal taste FAAC/FAAD or Nero is not that important. There are
purists that believe one is better than the other.

The reason that I like to downmix is that I generally keep TV episodes
in Dolby surround sound format (The balance of space/quality/experience
tilts in favor of space) whereas I like to keep movies at high audio
quality. I guess you could call it an arbitrary preference.

I *can* upload a sample but they tend to be large as the gaps occur at
random. Last one I looked at last night had a first gap 8 minutes in and
the stuff is captured at 8Mbits. Do you still want it? (And I forgot the
ftp address again).

--
/re

"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea"

Tommy Douglass