[MEncoder-users] Dolby downmix

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 28 11:16:26 CET 2010

Rolf Ernst <rolf.ernst <at> silverlightning.org> writes:

> The HD PVR actually digitizes off a high quality
> component analog signal and one of the quirks is that every once in a
> while it misses a beat (very rarely, but maybe 3 times in an hour
> unnoticeably so) and only the time stamps keep it in sync. Since
> mencoder knows how to thread the combined video and audio together none
> of these glitches matter, which is also why ffmpeg is useless for
> processing these a/v streams.

Since I don't think this problem is known, could you please upload a sample to
ftp://ffmpeg.org/MPlayer/incoming/ (write-only) and report the file-name (and a
failing command line) here?

> Do you see my dilemma? Any suggestions on how to possibly approach it?

I still fail to understand *why* you want to downmix, but -channels 2 should be
(unnoticeable) faster than "-channels 6 -af channels=2". And I wonder if
-channels 2 isn't always default for mencoder...

Is there any advantage in using nero over faac?

Carl Eugen