[MEncoder-users] Strange telecine and mencoder through pipes

Santiago Castillo Oli scastillo at aragon.es
Thu Dec 9 10:04:39 CET 2010

Hi all!

I have a very strange DVD. It's PAL (25fps) but it has a "telecine"
pattern: 2 frames progressive, 3 frames interlaced. PPIIIPPIII....

I tried "-vf pullup, softskip -fps 25 -ofps 20", as if it was NTSC, but
the result are not smooth.

It seems that original footage was 30 fps, progressive, and was
converted to pal discarding 1 field every 3 frames.

With "-vf yadif=1 -fps 50 -ofps 50" i get smooth movement but many
duplicated frames. I get a pattern of 2 duplicate frames followed by 1
single frame. AABBCDDEEFGGHHI.....

The best solution I found is to create a temporal lossless file with

-fps 50 -ofps 50 -vf yadif=1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff

and then encode that temporal file with

-fps 50 -ofps 30 -vf filmdint=io=5:3

The result is ok, but the temporal file is huge (almost 1Gb/minute).

I tried to make a filter chain but fps and ofps needs to be diferent for
yadif and filmdint. Doesn't work.

I also tried with 2 mencoder processes through a pipe, but it seems than
filmdint doesnt work with "streaming video". Doesn't work.

Do you know some alternative to avoid the lossless huge file?

Regards.