[MEncoder-users] Mencoder vdpau usage possible ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Aug 8 12:40:17 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 12:25:14PM +0200, belcampo wrote:
> When encoding a short BBC-HD clip with ffmpeg I get annoying
> blockiness in the first few frames, I issued the problem on the
> ffmpeg round-up, the reference decoder didn't show that problem.

You need to tell it to drop any initial non-keyframes.
FFmpeg at least has an option for that but I do not know
if it works for this case.
You can just try using a -ss option that skips those frames
at least though.
VDPAU only works due to the old tradition of "commercial"
decoders to just throw away anything they don't like.
One of the main reasons why channel switching and bad reception
just plain sucks with digital TV.