[MEncoder-users] ac3 mistaken for mp3 in recent versions of MEncoder

Laine Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 29 15:41:33 CEST 2010

On 4/29/10 12:10 AM, "Reimar Döffinger" <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> Well, you might be able to find someone willing to add support for the format
> if you e.g. submit a feature request to FFmpeg...

Yes, that's true, even if it might be a rather tall order.

> That's the wrong way of cutting it, like this it might be a bug in your
> exporting program.
> You should use the large files that fail and then use e.g. dd or some other
> program
> (there should be some GUI ones e.g. for splitting a file so you can burn it in
> parts
> on multiple CDs and often they can split them down to rather small sizes) to
> just get the first part of _exactly_ these files.

Doing that isn't trivial, because my exporting program is the only way I can
access the original capture with muxed audio and video in a single file. If
I can remux the full-length exported files as they exist before encoding,
then split them, that would yield what you suggest. But I'm not sure I can
figure out a way to do that. Otherwise, I would have to guess how much of
each file to cut so that I could get audio and video excerpts that are close
enough to the same duration to be useful. I'll work on it. Or maybe I'll
stay with version 30866 until serendipity brings the functionality back into
the latest release. As I said in an earlier post, I believe the problem has
cropped up before (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mencoder.user/10562/match=faster%5
faudio). Thanks.

Laine Lee