[MEncoder-users] "requested bitrate is too low." in 2-pass x264 encoding

Jarred Nicholls jarred.nicholls at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 16:10:23 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk>wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2010, at 17:34, Grozdan wrote:
>
>> ... beware that mencoder is broken
>>
>> outputting to anything but AVI, MPEG PS and RAW. I guess with lavf and
>> mp4 encoding WITHOUT b-frames, it'll do just fine but the moment you
>> add b-frames to your encode (and you're adding them since by default
>> they are enabled) it'll create a broken mp4
>>

> Hi and sorry to bother you, but what's the supported method to convert (say
> a DVD) to x264 .mp4 then, please?
>
> This should be done entirely in ffmpeg?

I would always recommend using MP4Box just from personal experience and to
allow the container to work everywhere (QuickTime, iPhone, etc.)  e.g., just
doing the video for a 15fps source video:

mencoder test.mpg -o test.264 -nosound -of rawvideo -ovc x264 -x264encopts
subme=5:crf=26.0:bframes=0:threads=auto &&
MP4Box -add test.264 -fps 15 -new test.mp4

Hope that helps.

Warm Regards,

Jarred Nicholls
jarred.nicholls at gmail.com