[MEncoder-users] Encoding stops with '00 motion_type at 17 6' after 990 sec

Christian cmf.ml at gmx.de
Thu Apr 1 13:38:12 CEST 2010

> Mmm, hard to say for sure what the problem is but it looks to me like
> a hardware acceleration problem.
>
> Try adding -zoom to your command line (enables software scaling). If
> that alone doesn't work, you can select a different software scaling
> algorithm using -sws. The function where things go wrong seems to be
> related to bilinear / bicubic scaling so using another method might
> bypass the problem.
>
> If I'm right and the problem is related to hardware acceleration, it
> could even be that updating the drivers for you graphics card would do
> the trick.

I tried the -zoom option. It did not help.

Then I tried the encoding on different PCs.

1. machine
==========
The machine till now is a quad core Tower with an nVidia card,

$ lspci |grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] (rev a1)

The conversion fails after 990s.
When I remove the first two GOPs, the conversion succeeds.

2. machine
==========
Next I tried an old PIII Tower PC with an old version of mencoder,

$ lspci |grep -i vga
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

$ /usr/bin/mencoder
MEncoder 1.0pre8-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

The conversion succeeds!

After upgrading mencoder to,

$ /usr/bin/mencoder
MEncoder dev-SVN-r26940 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team

the conversion fails after 990s !

3. machine
==========

A three years old single core Laptop with,

$ lspci|grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] (rev 01)

$ /usr/bin/mencoder
MPlayer SVN-r30656 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

The conversion fails after 990s !

I guess it is not the hardware, but it is just a guess. Removing the first
two GOPs and obtaining a successful conversion seems strange to me.

For today my time is up and I am without internet for the next ten days.
Please don't mind for the arising delay. Thanks for your help for now!

Regards,

Christian