[MEncoder-users] audiofile not working in r29675

Thrash Dude thrash.dude at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:00:13 CEST 2009

Using mencoder file.avi -audiofile audio.mp3 -oac copy -ovc copy -o
newmovie.avi results in this output -

Audio demuxer: unknown format 19749392.em:
-----------continues------------

$ file audio.mp3
MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1,  56 kbps, 48 kHz, JntStereo

$ mpginfo audio.mp3
Audio : Mpeg 1 layer 3
  Estimated Duration: 03:24:18.05s
  56 kbps  48000 Hz
  Frame size: 168 bytes
  Joint Stereo: (Intensity stereo off, M/S stereo off)
  No emphasis,  (c),  original

mpg123, and madplay both decode/play the file as expected.

Perhaps an encoder or VBR header issue? Re-encoded mp3 file with lame
(cbr/abr/vbr), blade-enc (cbr) helix-mp3-enc (cbr/vbr), ffmpeg, all
result in the same problem.

Using -oac mp3lame -lameopts $blah works as expected.

Reverting back to an earlier version of mplayer (r29543) does not have
the -audiofile issue, but does give issues decoding H.264 streams, ( Too
many audio packets in the buffer) that seems fixed with r29675.

I've searched the mailing lists, did not find anyone else experiencing
the same problems. Has something changed I missed?