[MEncoder-users] mencoder size and aspect ratios for H.264 video

John Ratliff webmaster at technoplaza.net
Mon Oct 5 04:32:23 CEST 2009

> I have no trouble with the following cmdline:
> $ mkvmerge -o mkv.mkv --aspect-ratio 0:16/9 tst.avi
>
> The video plays well in 16/9 (tst.avi's AR is 4/3).

I can't find anyplace it mentions this in the mkvmerge man page, but the
--apsect-ratio option must come before the video stream.

i.e.

mkvmerge -o movie.mkv --aspect-ratio 0:16/9 -A video.x264 audio.ogg
works

mkvmerge -o movie.mkv -A video.xa64 audio.ogg --aspect-ratio 0:16/9
doesn't work

I thought I had tried that, but maybe not. Thanks for the advice.

> Other unrelated suggestions:
> - do you really need pullup,softskip,harddup filters?
> - I would not scale the movie before encoding, but let the reader do this
> - I think you forgot to remove turbo=1 from 2nd pass cmdline
> Those are just suggestions, I actually have no clue about what you are
> doing, so what are your needs.

pullup,softskip are used to remove telecined video. mencoder manual
talks about using this.

harddup is for audio/video sync. I don't know if it it always necessary,
but I'm afraid to change things that work.

I want to scale the movie to reduce filesize and to ensure I have a 16:9
ratio. Do you think this is a bad idea? If so, why?

I took all the x264encopts from an article I read on the web. I have no
idea what any of them are. You're saying I don't need and shouldn't use
turbo on the second pass?

--John Ratliff