[MEncoder-users] x264 encoding slower after updating libx264

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Sat Nov 14 14:30:32 CET 2009

* Loren Merritt on Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 12:58:24 +0000
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 09:16:32AM +0100, belcampo wrote:
>>> Maybe OT, but I saw that memory-size
>>> a while running increased severly > 100%
>>> b files-size 15-20% increase
>>
>> Not sure, but there are new features like mb-tree which might cause
>> this, I have no idea what is enabled by default.
>
> MB-tree is enabled by default now, didn't exist in api67, and takes
> a bunch of memory.
> B-frames and multiref are enabled by default now, weren't in api67,
> and take some memory and cpu-time.
> RDO, trellis, and several other options are enabled by default now,
> weren't in api67, and take cpu-time.
> All of the above also affect filesize.

weightp is set to 2 by default:

$ x264 --fullhelp | grep -A 2 weightp
      --weightp               Weighted prediction for P-frames [2]
                              - 0: Disabled
                              - 1: Blind offset

This adds 2 reference frames, so for converted files to play on
iPod one has to set weightp=0. I found out the hard way ;-)

\black\trash movie    _C O W B O Y_  _C A N O E_  _C O M A_
                     Ein deutscher Western/A German Western

         --->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.php