[MEncoder-users] Mencoding DVD->mkv without demuxing

Marcus Blumhagen marcus.blumhagen at web.de
Sat Nov 7 15:02:46 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 09:17:24AM +0100, C.M. Burns wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> as mentioned in another post I am working on mencoding a DVD to a mkv file.
> At the moment I demux the a/v stream and encode seperate audio and video
> streams, but this gives me a headache later in the process.
> If I merge the files with mkvmerge, audio is asynchronous and fiddling
> around with synch just drives me crazy.
> [...]

I had problems with asynchronous audio too, when using mkvmerge. It
seems like the video is delayed by 4 frames (at least for x264).  So
if you have a 25 fps video then you would need an audio delay of 160
ms. I am not 100% sure whether the delay is exactly 4 frames but so
far this worked for me.

Marcus
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein