[MEncoder-users] DVD->mkv. 2pass or CQ?

Marcus Blumhagen marcus.blumhagen at web.de
Sat Nov 7 14:42:47 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:21:25PM -0600, Andrew Berg wrote:
> C.M. Burns wrote:
> > Later I read that encoding using "constant quality" is usually better if
> > filesize does not matter...
> > Do you have any suggestions?
> [...]
> CRF does not need to be adjusted for different types
> of content since it will automatically increase or decrease the bitrate
> as needed. It does need to be adjusted for different encoder settings
> and especially for different resolutions.

Agreed mostly but I have to ask why CRF needs to be adjusted
_especially_ for different resolutions? I think the idea of CRF is to
find a the value that suites your needs and it will fit for any
content of any resolution.

--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein