[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue May 12 05:50:46 CEST 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009 16:10:58 +0100
vmrsss <vmrsss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahem, this is grossly exaggerated, the difference between 1-pass CRF
> and 2-pass at the same avg bitrates is negligible.

What's "negligable" to one person is "significant" to another.

> > With the way x264 handles threading, I wouldn't be surprised if
> > 2-pass+turbo mode was just as fast as CRF, on systems with several
> > cores.
>
> Of course it is not, the turbo pass may be fast, but you still have to
> run it...

The 1st pass is not just a throwaway step.  It takes care of most of
the processing that can't be multi-threaded, allowing the second pass to
much fully utilize multiple cores.

If you'd like to post some benchmarks on various hardware, I'd love to
see what you've compiled.

> Experience shows that that's not the case. It's the entire point!

Again, you're welcome to post some numbers.  At best, your assertions
are highly subjective.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!