[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon May 11 06:13:10 CEST 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 22:35:01 -0500
Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I should do an entire encode just to find the average bitrate so I
> can do another encode of the same file with 2-pass? /That/ doesn't
> make sense.

Unless there's some limitation with x264 I don't know about, you should
be able to use the CRF pass as the first of the 2-passes without any
quality loss.  Of course "turbo" might mess this up just a bit, but
you'll simply have to try a few to figure out how far CRF needs to be
adjusted to compensate.

Personally, I think this is all pedantic...  Just because you want a
certain level of visual quality doesn't mean you can't get very close to
it, without wasting many bits, by just picking a bitrate and using it.

Take a look at all the videos you've encoded with the same CRF settings,
and I'm willing to bet the vast majority will have a pretty similar
bitrate.  There will always be a few outliers, but I'm not sure I'd
trust the CRF equations to be more accurate, more of the time, than a
bitrate (just MHO).

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!