[MEncoder-users] Dualcore and Quadcore performance?

Al Bogner mencoder at ml082.pinguin.uni.cc
Sun Mar 22 20:22:16 CET 2009

Am Sonntag 22 März 2009 19:51:49 schrieb larrystotler at netscape.net:
> [...]

Do you mean Intel vs. AMD generally or did you compare AMD 4x and Intel 2x?

> Are you
> planning on doing any overclocking?

No, I am not a fan of overclocking.

> I have a Celeron E1200 running stable
> @ 3.2Ghz.  First pass XviD gets around 120fps, and 2nd pass(with audio
> encode) gets around 60.

I plan to encode from DVD or mpg-files to x264 in a mkv-container.

> Keep in mind that more cores doesn't equate 100% better performance per
> core.

The questions is how many percent quadcore is faster than dualcore. See
processors above.

Which one is faster for encoding:
INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 2x 3,00GHz 6MB 333MHz boxed or
INTEL Core 2 Quad Q8200 4x 2.33GHz, 333MHz

> XviD's smp encoding sucks, so I run 2 encodes at the same time.
> Same with my friend's quad core rig.  He runs 4 encodes and gets almost
> 400% performance.  With x264 on smp, he only got about 250%.

I would like to discuss a little bit later which options he uses, but first I
have to make a decision which hardware has the best value for the money. I am
willing to spend 150-200€ for the cpu. I am little bit confused of the TLB-Bug
of the AMD Phenom II. Don't know if this problem is solved in the meantime.

Al