[MEncoder-users] Output framerate and quality perception

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 03:28:32 CET 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:54:17 +0100
Stjepan Brbot <stjepan.brbot at zg.t-com.hr> wrote:

> If I set -ofps 15 to lower framerate will I actually increase the
> perception of movie quality? This way 256kbps video bitrate is used
> for 15 frames instead e.g. 25 frames causing more bits for each
> particular frame resulting in better separate frame quality.

You can generally estimate that every time you double frame-rate, you
can get away with only increasing the bitrate 50% (not 100% as you
might expect).  So, there are diminishing returns for reducing
frame-rate.  Generally, if you're not seeing distracting artifacts, I
wouldn't recomend reducing framerate.  Same for (slightly) downscaling
resolution.

The second thing going against you is the fact that 25 isn't divisible
by 15, so you'll get an uneven framerate decimation...

Of course, you also probably could have tried it out yourself more
quickly than asking here...

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!