[MEncoder-users] Framerate problems with yadif and mcdeint

Jonathan Busby jonathanbusby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 20:13:56 CET 2009

Hello. I've been trying to transcode an Mplayer stream dump from a DVD
to x264 -- the problem is that the source material is badly interlaced : a
mixture of hard telecined content and progressive content, with
constant switching between the two. I've used the pullup filter but there
is still visible interlacing with some of the scenes being badly
interlaced.
The pullup filter in combination with the l5-lowpass post-processing filter
cleans up most of the interlacing not caught by pullup but not only is the
quality of the video degraded, but there is still some visible interlacing,
albeit very minor. ( the results with filmdint are the same no matter
how high or low I set the thresholds )

So, to get to the point, I changed to a yadif + mcdeint combo to see
if I could get rid of the interlacing completely without major quality
problems. Specifically, the first part of my filter chain is
'yadif=1:1,mcdeint=3:1:1' followed down the line by softskip.
While the above does indeed work almost perfectly with respect
to de-interlacing and preserving the source stream quality, the
resulting video, when played back with Mplayer, is extremely slow
compared to the source material -- it almost looks like the framerate has
been halved, and this is despite the fact that I have '-ofps 24000/1001'
specified in the encode. I've tried changing the output framerate to
'-ofps 48000/1001'  but this only results in a slightly "faster" video when
played with Mplayer but with the addition of constant ugly jumping
and jerking.

My question is :

'What do I need to do to get the correct video-"speed"/output-framerate?'

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Jonathan