[MEncoder-users] vbitrate

Grzesiek Sójka pld at pfu.pl
Sun Mar 8 17:29:50 CET 2009

Hi there!

I'm using mencoder to encode lots asf movies for my PocketPC. As a
consequence the size of the file is critical. After few days of
investigations I came to the following command:

mencoder <source spec.> -vf scale=320:240 -ofps 8 \
	-oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=0:br=16 -srate 11025 \
	-ovc lavc -lavcopts \
	vcodec=msmpeg4:vbitrate=60:vrc_maxrate=64:vrc_buf_size=327 \
	-of lavf -lavfopts format=asf \
	-o out.asf

I'm not perfectly happy with it because
	1. I'm not able to set the high limit of the video bit rate. Even tough
I use -lavcopts vbitrate=60:vrc_maxrate=64 the video br jumps to 80kbps.
I do not care to much about the quality so I would like to set the
_hard_ limit for the video bit rate to 64kbps.
	2. How to force mp3lane to write only one audio channel?? I tried
-lameopts mode=3 but the file produced was even bigger and mplayer still
claimed that there are 2 audio channels.
	3. Since I limited the -ofps to 8 I get lots of "Skipping frame!"
messages. It would be nice to switch it off because if mencoder is
running inside x-teminal then the CPU consumption of X-server is about 50%.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sincerely yours

Greg

PS. If you have any suggestions/comments about encoding movies for
PocketPC I would be happy to hear it.