[MEncoder-users] Adjust Audio Volumes of Videos

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Mon Jun 8 10:56:16 CEST 2009

Malte Schünemann wrote:
> So this means I use e.g. volnorm=2:0.5 for the video with low setting
> and volnorm=2:0.2 for that with high volume for encoding - correct ?
I don't think so. I've always just used "-af volnorm" without any "=" or
anything following it, and I've obtained fairly good results.

I think you might not understand that this isn't a fixed volume
adjustment regardless of what you're encoding. You don't need to listen
to the video beforehand to find out how much you need to boost or cut
it. Instead, volume normalization aims to do this automatically by
analyzing the material at the time of playing/encoding. In other words,
if you encode a variety of things (loud, soft, and medium) with
"mencoder -af volnorm ....", you should end up with video files with a
much more consistent volume than the originals.

Now, looking at the optional "method" parameter, it appears that you can
change the overall volume that mencoder is trying to achieve. For
example, using "-af volnorm=2:1.0" should cause mencoder to try to
adjust the volume on *all* files you encode to 100% of the loudest
possible sound allowable by the sound format you're encoding to. If you
used, instead, "-af volnorm=2:0.4", then mencoder would try to adjust
the volumes on all files you encode to about 40% of the loudest sound
supported by the sound format.

So, the number you feed to the volnorm command does *not* seem to be
based upon the loudness of the *source*. It seems to be the loudness you
want all of the *destination* files to be.

- Joe