[MEncoder-users] picking up x264 library

Matyas mplayer.list at sustik.com
Mon Jul 27 21:49:17 CEST 2009

The Wanderer wrote:
> If you install x264 via a package management system which installs into
> /usr (as most of them probably will), and then you overwrite that by
> installing a non-packaged version into /usr, you may well end up
> breaking packages which depend on x264 and think that an older version
> is installed. As I understand it, that's why so many library (and no few
> non-library) build systems default to installing into /usr/local instead
> of /usr - so that you can install self-compiled libraries without
> messing with the underlying system, if need be.

The prepared x264 packages are not the very latest and so I could only do
this if the x264 sources could compile a debian package for install.

Is there a way to tell mencoder to pick the x264 library installed in say
/usr/local?

Thanks!
Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.