[MEncoder-users] picking up x264 library

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Mon Jul 27 11:11:00 CEST 2009

2009/7/27 Matyas <mplayer.list at sustik.com>:
> Grozdan wrote:
>> I'm not really sure. I never use the distro x264 and always use x264
>> version which I self-compile from git. Never had problems with mplayer
>>

> Ok, maybe I was not clear.  I am attempting the same thing.  I compile in
> /home/sustik/src/x264 after getting the sources there via git.
>
>> picking it up during configure. You may need to either read the x264
>> detection part of mplayer's configure script to figure out how and
>
> So it would look in some random directory in my home?  Probably make install
> of x264 puts the library on your system exactly where mplayer looks for it...
> Since it does not on my debian system, hence the need for the links.

No, it will not look in some random directory in your home. What I
meant is to open the configure script of mplayer and see how it
detects x264 and where it first looks for it, in /usr or in /usr/local

make install of x264 always puts files in /usr/local if during
configure you did not specify a different install path with --prefix

This is what I usually do here:

1) for x264: ./configure --enable-shared && make && make install
it always places files in /usr/local as I never use --prefix during configure

2) for mplayer: ./configure --enable-gui --disable-lirc --disable-lircc
it always detects my x264 being in /usr/local and also places all
mplayer stuff in /usr/local

but since you're dealing with more than one x264 on your system,
that's why I suggested to read mplayer's configure script and see how
it detects x264 and where it looks first for it (in /usr or
/usr/local) as there doesn't seem to be a configure option to
explicitly tell it where to look for x264

> Just to be sure, could you do a:
>> string any.avi | grep "x264"
>
> and verify that it is the same version as reported by your x264 --version?

Yes, it is the same since I only have one x264 on my system and only
one mencoder/mplayer too. Also ldd $(which mencoder) | grep x264 gives
me this so it's correct:

libx264.so.68 => /usr/local/lib/libx264.so.68 (0x00007f9aba4ac000)