[MEncoder-users] picking up x264 library

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Sun Jul 26 20:56:07 CEST 2009

2009/7/26 Matyas <mplayer.list at sustik.com>:
> Grozdan wrote:
>> MEncoder has picked up your old x264. If you don't need it, remove it
>
> I guess I am confused by the locations.  The last step of my usual x264
> install process is:
>
> # make install
> install -d /usr/local/bin /usr/local/include
> install -d /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
> install -m 644 x264.h /usr/local/include
> install -m 644 libx264.a /usr/local/lib
> install -m 644 x264.pc /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
> install x264 /usr/local/bin
>
> I kind of assumed this removes (overwrites) the old versions.  I will
> ask/verify at x264-devel.  I will poke around the mencoder configure script,
> however it was (is) somewhat a mystery for me that mencoder picks up an old
> version.

I don't know where your older version is. If in /usr and your newer in
/usr/local then it can "confuse" mencoder and it can pick up the old
one. Also make sure you configure x264 with --enable-shared. IIRC (and
don't quote me on that) mencoder will favor shared libs over static
ones (maybe your old one is a shared lib, thus it gets picked up)

you can also check to which lib it is linked to: ldd /path/to/mencoder/mencoder

Easiest is to just remove *all* x264 stuff on your machine, get latest
x264 git and compile with --enable-shared, then compile mplayer

> Note that I am building a debian package with
> 'fakeroot debian/rules binary', could that somehow part of my problem?

I'm not familiar with debian packaging. I'm on openSUSE (RPM distro)