[MEncoder-users] encoding video for the ipod 5g

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Sun Jul 19 13:10:10 CEST 2009

2009/7/19 Christian Ebert <blacktrash at gmx.net>:
> * Grozdan on Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 01:33:37 +0200
>> I've no idea why it refuses to play it. Your commands look alright to
>> me. I've a bunch of scripts with iPod presets, which you may try out
>> and see if it'll work for the g5. I don't have an iPod myself hence
>> can't really test here
>>
>> http://h264enc.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> frameref=3 /might/ be a problem (ipchq). I /believe/ frameref=1
> is 100% safe and according to Apple's "low complexity version" of
> the baseline profile.
>
> It would be nice to have some reliable information on that. I let
> some friends test stuff I converted and it seemed to work up to
> frameref=5, but this might depend on the movies and, more
> importantly, on the iPod models they used.

I don't think frameref=3 is the problem here or else all users from
MeGUI will also report problems. As long as one sticks to baseline
profile and and does not go beyond frameref=3, it should work.
Besides, it has worked on older iPods but now it doesn't seem to work
on the G5. If Apple is going backwards with their ass first for their
newer models, they should be slapped hard. More reason why I don't
touch anything from them. You can test the ipchq preset though, but
only lower frameref to 1 and see if it'll work (save settings to file
and modify it, then encode from there). Also, what is "low complexity
version" of the baseline profile? Baseline is *already* low complexity
and IIRC there's no "low complexity" stuff mentioned in H.264 doc for
baseline profiles