[MEncoder-users] pullup question

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Thu Jan 22 09:39:06 CET 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009 09:30:12 Matyas Sustik wrote:
> L Lee wrote:
> > I thought with 1080i you could just use framestep=2 and output it at 30
> > fps - no pullup needed. Is that incorrect?

you use framestep=2 when you have progressive/interlaced 59.940fps content and
want to bring it down to 29.970fps. Though from my experience, depending on
the content, filmdint will do a better job at bringing it down to 29.970 (it
can also bring it down to 23.976fps if you combine it with framestep - I used
filmdint as very simple fps converter, even though it wasn't written for that
originally)

> I assume the above would work with 1080i/60 sources right?  The files my
> capture card records are 30fps.  I better use yadif or similar in that
> case, correct?

use a deinterlacer, don't use framestep=2 on 30fps files unless you want 15fps
output

> Matyas
> -
> Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.

Regards

http://h264enc.sourceforge.net