[MEncoder-users] Set field-order without re-encoding?

James Cook jimco06 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 04:13:58 CET 2009

Hi

I have video from a Sony Handycam DCR-SR42.  I think the Sony
documentation states that it produces video that is already in
MPEG2-PS format.  However, I have found that DVDs that I make using
these videos always have a field-order reversal.  The video is
actually interlaced TFF, but its as if the TFF flag is missing, or
hidden from DVD players.  They play jittery.  Obviously, if I
deinterlace or re-encode as TFF interlaced before writing the DVD, it
plays fine.

What I am wondering is if there is a mencoder option (or if you know
of another utility) that allows you to set the field-order flag of a
video without re-encoding it.  After some research it sounds like the
program Restream would do the trick if I demuxed the video first, but
I would have to use Wine, which I would rather not do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim