[MEncoder-users] pullup question

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 19 17:35:21 CET 2009

On 1/19/09 10:07 AM, "Matyas Sustik" <mplayer.list at sustik.com> wrote:

> I am still confused about pullup, at least about the results it produces.
>
> I used -vf pullup,softskip,harddup -ofps 24000/1001 -fps 30000/1001 on a
> 29.97 fps source that appears to be telecined.  The result is a 23.97 fps
> but stepping through the frames I see the following repeat pattern:
> 1-2 3 4 5-6 7 8 9-10 ...
> That is frames 1 and 2 are the same, 5 and 6 are the same etc.  I expected
> all different progressive frames.

Although I have been reminded frequently on this list that pullup method
varies greatly depending on source, the following two filter chain
strategies have proved useful to me. Most sources that I've encountered for
which pullup was needed were 60 fps progressive telecined video.

framestep=2,filmdint=fast=0,softskip,harddup -fps 60000/1001 -ofps
24000/1001 (also needed was the option "-noskip")

decimate=3:3072:.2:4096,harddup -fps 60000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001

Decimate proved more useful when converting source passages for which the
pulldown pattern was not extremely consistent (frequent occurrences of
4-frame patterns rather than 5-frame patterns were present).

Please let me know if either of these work for you. My conversions resulted
in  frame repeat patterns similar to what you described when I used the
filter chain and options you specified.

Laine Lee