[MEncoder-users] x264 2-pass, FAAC, smearing

John Ratliff webmaster at technoplaza.net
Thu Jan 15 20:39:04 CET 2009

GM wrote:
> Using those options, you are messing up quality.
> This is because the first pass will have wrong bitrate distribution when
> applied to your second pass.

As I mentioned, I am very new to mencoder and video encoding in general.
I recognize those words but have no idea what they mean.
> This means that on scene changes 1-2 frames will be really blurry. You
> might not notice it unless you skip frame-by-frame and it might happen
> with only some videos, but it will be there due to how 2-pass encoding
> works.

In my encoding, I am reducing quality, so the things you are referring
to may never be noticeable for me. Do you think it would be better for
me to use -oac copy on both passes? I'm betting it wouldn't affect my
overall encoding time (2:45 minutes for a ~45 minute video).

Sorry I can't give you any useful advice.

--John Ratliff