[MEncoder-users] Fwd: MOV to Xvid - skipping frame

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 8 03:17:23 CET 2009

Atlag Bela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to encode MOV videos produced by my Lumix camera.
> I use the following commands to encode to Xvid:
>
> mencoder $1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts threads=2:pass=1 -oac copy -o /dev/null
> mencoder $1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts threads=2:pass=2:max_bframes=2:chroma_opt:vhq=1:qpel:bitrate=2500 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr=3:aq=0:br=128 -o $1.xvid
>
> The problem is that the audio is not in sync with the video in the output file. I recognised a lots of "Skipping frame!" messages on the console. Maybe this is the reason why the audio and video are not sychronized.
> Is there any problem with the commands I use?
>
> thx,
> konti

Try putting -vf harddup in there, to see if it makes any difference.

When you say the video and audio are not in sync - do they start out
that way and drift apart, or do they start out out of sync, and stay
that way? If the audio drifts out of sync, try putting -vf harddup in
there, to see if it helps.

If the offset is constant, then putting -delay n (where n is the delay
in milliseconds) into the command line should fix it. Try 100 at first,
and increase or decrease the value till the resulting encode is in sync.
You can get a pretty good idea of the needed value for the delay by
playing the file in mplayer, and hitting the + or - keys to increase or
decrease the audio delay. Note that the value you put in the command
line is the inverse of the value that mplayer reports. If the delay in
mplayer is -300, then the command line should be -delay 300, and vice versa.