[MEncoder-users] Encoding Problem

Jim Ryan chaosfreak at live.com
Tue Jan 6 07:19:48 CET 2009

I've been encoding SageTV MPG files to AVI/MPEG4 for years with the same
mencoder command line, and now suddenly it doesn't work.  The command line
is as follows:

/usr/bin/mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts
acodec=ac3:vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=8:autoaspect:v4mv:mbd=2 -oac lavc -noodml
"$DESTFILENAME" -o "$DESTFILENAME"".avi.tmp" 2>> "$LOGFILE" 1>/dev/null

Unfortunately, now the resulting AVI has a problem.  It appears to be
encoded fine but there is severe Audio/Video sync problem.  When you try to
seek during playback, the video seeks but the audio starts replaying from
the beginning.  This is not an index issue as I've tried rebuilding the
index.  Running it through the avidemux copy filter fixes the issue, but I
shouldn't have to take this extra step.  Does anyone have an answer?