[MEncoder-users] WMV3 Encoding Issue

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 1 23:25:47 CET 2009

Denis Ogun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to encode this file:
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C6N7PS7H
>
> with these parameters:
>
> mencoder C:\lotp.wmv -of lavf -oac faac -faacopts br=256 -ovc x264
> -x264encopts
> subq=5:frameref=5:bitrate=1600:me=umh:partitions=all:bframes=1:me_range=16:cabac:weightb:deblock
> -fps 30 -vf scale=1280:720 -o C:\lotp.mp4
>
> When I try to encode the video, it shows a huge file size of over double the
> original. When I try to play it in mplayer I get these errors relating to
> the faad decoder:
>
> FAAD: Failed to decode frame: Unable to find ADTS syncword
> FAAD: error: Unable to find ADTS syncword, trying to resync!
> FAAD: error: Channel coupling not yet implemented, trying to resync!
> FAAD: error: Gain control not yet implemented, trying to resync!
> FAAD: error: Maximum number of scalefactor bands exceeded, trying to resync!
> FAAD: error: Unable to find ADTS syncword, trying to resync!
> FAAD: error: Pulse coding not allowed in short blocks, trying to resync!

Well, for starters, you told it you wanted a lavf output format but
didn't specify the container:

-of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4

Without looking at the source file, are you sure your FPS, audio
bitrate, and video bitrate are anywhere near what you are specifying
here? For aac audio, a bitrate of 128 is generally regarded as
sufficient. Also, is your output larger, pixel size, than the original?
All of these will make the output file bigger than the input file for no
discernable improvement in quality.

You've also specified a bunch of x264 options, but didn't specify the
IDC_LEVEL, included no global_headers, etc. I'm not sure you are getting
out what you are expecting to get out.