[MEncoder-users] Convert DTS audio to AC-3 in mkv file

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 15 04:36:10 CET 2009

On 12/14/2009 08:33 PM, Pedro Abranches wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I have a 1080p mkv file with DTS audio and I need to convert it to
> AC-3, maintaining the original video codec and quality.
>
> I'm trying with the following command:
>    mencoder video.mkv -o video2.mkv -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3 -ovc copy
>
> When playing the new file with mplayer it plays correctly, but when
> reading with other players like Totem and VLC it doesn't. What am I
> doing wrong?

For one thing, that command line creates an AVI file, and gives it the
filename you asked for (which happens to have a .mkv extension).

To create a non-AVI file with MEncoder, you need the '-of' option. To
create an MKV file, if my man page isn't misleadingly incomplete, you
may actually need to use a different tool (e.g. mkvmerge) to remux after
your mencoder step - or just use 'ffmpeg -i video.mkv -acodec ac3
-vcodec copy video2.mkv', and see if that does what you need.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.