[MEncoder-users] Encoding movies with DTS tracks

Olivier Rolland billl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 7 11:49:04 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:33:38 +0100
> Olivier Rolland <billl at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> Using -mc 0 without understanding what it does...

Probably not as much as you do. Anyway here is what the doc says:

MEncoder's audio/video synchronization algorithms were designed with
the intention of recovering files with broken sync. However, in some
cases they can cause unnecessary skipping and duplication of frames,
and possibly slight A/V desync, when used with proper input (of
course, A/V sync issues apply only if you process or copy the audio
track while transcoding the video, which is strongly encouraged).
Therefore, you may have to switch to basic A/V sync with the -mc 0
option, or put this in your ~/.mplayer/mencoder config file, as long
as you are only working with good sources (DVD, TV capture, high
quality MPEG-4 rips, etc) and not broken ASF/RM/MOV files.

AFAICT, a DVD is a good source so I guess I can use -mc 0 to prevent
unnecessary skipping, duplication of frames and slight A/V desync.

Are you saying that -mc 0 should never be used ? Or that it should be
used only if there was unnecessary skipping, duplication, ... ? Or
that it shouldn't be used with DTS tracks ?

Thanks,

Olivier